Future, What Future?

|

I am depressed about my future. I feel like I don't have one. I feel like my dreams are falling through the cracks or shattering into a million and one pieces. I just don't know what to do anymore. The interview season is almost over (2 or 3 months depending on the school) and I have yet to hear back from one medical school. It is getting beyond frustrating. I've tried really hard not to think about it, but it's all that I can think about lately. I really want to go to medical school and I feel like it is going to be the best place for me, but I guess the schools are thinking otherwise. Sigh...

I've started looking into taking the GRE and applying to graduate schools in biochemistry because I don't think I'm going to get into medical school. This is something that I don't want to do because I don't want to be in a lab my whole life. I want to be interacting with people and healing them. It looks like this isn't going to happen though. Sigh... Life is so depressing right now.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done differently? Should I call or email the medical schools to see about my application status?

I feel like a failure.

6 comments:

MoHoHawaii said...

Just hang tight. There's still time. Your MCAT scores were excellent, if I recall. You seem to be well prepared.

If you don't get in this year, apply again next year to a different set of schools. There's no need to give up your dream.

Good luck!

Calvin said...

From what I understand, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask about your application, as long as you don't do it repeatedly and become a nuisance.

I don't know why the schools aren't jumping all over you! Did you apply to some safer bets?

Sean said...

Yeah did really well on the MCAT and I applied to safe bet schools. I applied to thirteen schools. Three of them were above my MCAT score, then four of them were right on with my MCAT score, and the last six were at least three points below my MCAT score. My GPA is above average at every school too. It just doesn't make sense to me. I've killed myself to become an above average applicant by doing so many extracurriculars and having high grades, but maybe I'm just average or below average. I don't know. It's really frustrating.

I think I might call some of the schools, but I probably need to talk to the pre-professional office first to see what they think.

Thanks for your words of advice and encouragement MoHoHawaii and Calvin. I really do appreciate them.

Calvin said...

The professor I do research for talked to us just yesterday about how tough of a political climate it is this year for BYU students. She said one of her students was applying for programs and didn't hear back from any of them; then, after he removed the fact that he had gotten his Master's at BYU, he got several interviews.

This of course was in psychology, which is particularly liberal and also related to gay issues, but I'm sure you can count that as a factor too.

MY VIEW said...

You and I both know that if you keep doing what is right and have faith that things will work out. You are in my prayers every night and I love you buddy. Don't get down. Just keep you head above the water and the right thing will happen.

robert said...

I agree with Calvin. There are political considerations in every decision making process.